Wallet UX Suggestions

Move Public Offline Address to a more easily found location for folks who wish to use it for static donations or whatnot. Build a partial FAQ into the wallet (info buttons, its own page, small descriptive subtext, etc…). Can still link out to the full documentation but would be helpful for folks to like at least be able to understand the address types (online/twoparty, offline/oneparty, public offline, max privacy, expiration, how many exchanges only take the sbbs one, etc…) and whatnot from within the wallet. Crypto newbies can hardly grasp using Bitcoin/Ethereum addressing and Beam seems to add another layer to the complexity even with how nice the UX is built. Also I believe that highlighting the safety of using the just online/twoparty address for those afraid of potentially sending to the wrong person is a nice plus (although I’m not sure if the privacy of that one is worse?).

Like get a focus group (or someone who has never used the wallet and watch them try to do something you ask them to do, and see what questions they ask or troubles them have). Crypto experienced and not.

2 Likes

And I suppose I already said this above but to extra highlight it, I actually think letting a user see receiver must come online vs. no interaction needed from receiver is a valuable thing for the wallet to highlight in the send/receive screen. Not only to better clarify what online vs. offline means. But the fact that in crypto people are always so worried about losing funds when they send them and Beam actually has an inadvertent solution to that if desired. Like it’s there but I guess I would place it / phrase it differently. Tangentially, the fact that the offline part of the address only has like 10 charges I hope is a technical solution that can eventually be overcome

1 Like

Has been noted for the Twitter Space today

1 Like

The answer for the reason the public offline address (which requires no vouchers and is static) is where it is is because of a theoretical attack where you could see when the funds sent to it are spent (which can then be correlated with other things), so use of it is discouraged

Alex Romanov said that Beam multiple address types could profit from a reorganization (some older types had to be kept to ensure compatibility with some exchanges that might not upgrade to newer systems, etc.).

However, I agree that this does not prevent us from better presenting and explaining what we already have. Just presenting things a bit differently in the wallet and adding some simple tooltips would probably already make a big difference in the user experience.

Also, we should highlight the benefits of the online system, which is different from classical Bitcoin system, but which has many advantages (one of them being the quasi impossibility to loose funds my mistake… which I think is a pretty good feature to reassure new users!).

2 Likes

Yep I’ve been a proponent of tooltips for a while. Or at least an in wallet faq instead of linking to a massive docs page people won’t go to and might get lost in. Some apps even do tutorials when you first open them

1 Like

A year old FR :sweat_smile:
Anyways, here’s the Github issue tracker: FR: FAQ DApp · Issue #1091 · BeamMW/beam-ui · GitHub