BEAM Name Service

controversial or too memorable, BANS

Beam Anonymous Naming Service

6 Likes

Hey all,

Wanted to jump in and propose some updates to the original specs. A lot of great feedback and thoughts provided for which we are all thankful. The below outlines what we see as the best adjustments to the initial proposal, taking into account suggestions from the community, the longevity of the Beam name service, and the benefits to both users and the DAO itself.

Proposed Spec Updates

BANS - Beam Anonymous Name Service

Pricing

5+ character.BEAM names: $10 in $BEAM per year.
4 character.BEAM names: $120 in $BEAM per year.
3 character.BEAM names $320 in $BEAM per year.

Registration and Renewals

• Registrations will incur a yearly cost as per the pricing above
  • Initial registration can be 1+ years, with the same flat rate for additional years
  • Renewals will be required when the initial registration expires, and are available for 1+ years

Premium List

• There will be no premium list, with all domains being available at launch

Regarding the open questions

1. Multiple domains will be available in addition to .BEAM which will be added in the future
  2. Subdomains will be added in the future
  3. There will be no royalties on secondary sales
  4. Research on the ability for BANS holders to add a picture to their NFTs is underway
  5. New name - BANS : Beam Anonymous Name Service

Launch

• The launch date will be published a week before the contracts and application go live
  • Each domain will be available on a first come first served basis

These specification updates aim to improve on the initial spec. Although impossible to take into account every suggestion or piece of feedback, we have attempted to take onboard as much as we can, whilst having a solid grounding for BANS to kick off. This will be just the beginning for BANS, with much more to come!

Some of the parameters will later be adjustable via DAO governance, which will be available after launch.

If you have any strong objections to the above proposed updates. Please let us know here in the forum.

5 Likes

Shout out to you exchange, love the BANS name

3 Likes

can’t wait to see this :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Same here, we are excited! :fire:

1 Like

Adding to the already excellent types of addresses Beam has, to make receiving Beam to beambots.beam / raskul.beam would be immense. I wonder how they will make the address type… max privacy would be superb if the option could be made.

2 Likes

Today I bought a domain to promote FOR SALE BANS. It’s a placeholder for now but I’ll put up something by Sunday the 2nd.

https://BANS.BROKER

I have sent up a small HTML INDEX file which actually provides full functionality!

I’d like to get a .beam domain/wallet name as well. Is this coming soon?

you can purchase your BANS address already. In

the BANS dapp in the desktop wallet.

1 Like

Oh… very nice. Thanks.

Can it send and receive BEAM? Similar to the .eth domain?

Yeah, but only Beam asset (not Beam CAs [BeamX, RAYS, BB, TICO…])

1 Like

Hello,

Renewing the domain is kind of defeating the purpose of crypto, which is supposed to be timeless as the chain keeps moving forward. Imagine if you have to pay a subscription for keeping your beam and tokens on the wallet. Unstoppable domains understood this concept one-time purchases and they are today integrated with just about every possible platform.

Revenue could derive from initial sales, changes on the domain (e.g. modifying the data) and ownership transfers like an NFT.

In addition to wallet address it would be great to include a “free text” field. This existes also with normal DNS and would permit things like adding the address to an IPFS website in the format “ipfs: 23213p12oi3ddwdoew…”.

If BANS would function in this manner then I’d have no hesitation to use and recommend since it works perfect for people to share resources outside BEAM itself and compete.

5 Likes

Without renewals you’d have squatters. Luckily they’ve said your Beam stays even if you don’t renew your name

So I should not own my own house, car, boat, bike and clothes?

It’s okay to say, here is a system for leasing, but can someone please bring beam NFT user names?

1 Like

I mean yeah another model is to make sure to charge enough to not have squatters and expire them on inactivity. Idk

1 Like

Yep, charge enough to make it a serious and careful decision.

This isn’t buying something, it feels more like renting and for that I’d just use a normal web domain.

1 Like